Born in New York, grew up in Huntington, Long Island, New York. Served in the USAF at the rank of Major. Served on the fulltime faculty of Tulane University SOM rising to the rank of Associate Professor.
- mechanisms of immune injury
- allergic diseases
- immune dysregulation
- Autoimmune connective tissue diseases, e.g. lupus, RA, vasculitis.
- Allergic asthma and rhinitis, chronic urticaria, eczema, food allergy, anaphylaxis, occupational lung disease.
education & training
Johns Hopkins University - BA
University of Maryland SOM - MD
University of California, Irvine - Internship and Internal Medicine Residency
University of Colorado - Clinical Immunology (Allergy and Rheumatology) Fellow
- FACP, FAAAAI, FACR
- Ranked in top 10% peer reviewers for Annals of Internal Medicine and Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology In Practice.
1. Claman HN, Karr RM, Kohler PF, Mass MD, McIntosh RM, Sams WM, Small P, Stanford RE, and Thorne EG. Systemic (allergic?) vasculitis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1974;54:54-64.
2. Lehrer SB, Karr RM, and Salvaggio JE. Extraction and analysis of coffee bean allergens. Clin Allergy 1978;8:217.
3. Karr RM, Kohler PF, and Salvaggio JE. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis and extrinsic asthma: A case study of an unusual association. Chest 1978;74:98-102.
4. Karr RM, Lehrer SB, Butcher BT, and Salvaggio JE. Coffee workers’ asthma: A clinical appraisal using RAST. J Allergy Clin Immmunol 1978;62:143-148.
5. Butcher BT, Karr RM, Wilson MR, O’Neil CE, and Salvaggio JE. Inhalation challenge and pharmacologic studies of toluene diisocyanate (TDI) sensitive workers. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1979;64:146-152.
6. Karr RM. Bronchoprovocation studies in coffee workers’ asthma. J Allergy Clin Immmunol 1979;64:650-654.
7. Lehrer SB, Wilson MR, Karr RM, and Salvaggio JE. IgE antibody response of smokers, non-smokers, and “smoke-sensitive” persons to tobacco leaf and smoke antigens. Am Rev Respir Dis 1980;121:168-170.
8. Lehrer SB, Karr RM, Muller DJG, and Salvaggio JE. Detection of castor allergens in castor wax. Clin Allergy 1980;10:33-41.
9. Lehrer SB, Karr RM, and Salvaggio JE. Extraction and analysis of coffee bean allergens. Clin Immunol 1978;8:217-226.
10. Karr RM, Lehrer SB, Butcher BT, Wilson MR, and Salvaggio JE. An approach to fungal antigen relationships by radioallergosorbent test inhibition. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1981;67:194-198.
11. Karr RM. Chronic Rhinosinusitis: Potential new treatment with topical sulfasalazine. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2014;2(3):349-350.
12. Raymond CK, Hernandez J, Karr R, Hill K, Li M (2017) Collection of cell-free DNA for genomic analysis of solid tumors in a clinical laboratory setting. PLoS ONE 12(4): e0176241. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.01…
13. An J, Durcan L, Karr RM, Briggs TA, Rice GI, Teal TH, Woodward JJ, and Elkon KB. Expression of Cyclic GMP-AMP Synthase in Patients With Systemic Lupus Erythematosis. Arth Rheum Apr 2017;69(4):800-817.
Chapters & Reviews
1. Karr RM and Salvaggio JE. Allergic features of infiltrative lung disease, chapter in Cellular, Mollecular, and Clinical Aspects of Allergic Disorders, edited by S. Gupta and R.A. Good, Plenum Press, New York, 1980.
2. Karr RM, Davies R, Butcher BT, Lehrer SB, Wilson MR, Dharmarajan V, and Salvaggio JE. Occupational asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1978;61(1):54-65.
3. Karr RM, Davies RJ, Butcher BT, Lehrer SB, Wilson MR, Dharmarajan V, and Salvaggio JE. Occupational asthma. J Cont Educ. In O.R.L. and Allergy 1978;40;44-45.
4. Karr RM and Salvaggio JE. Infiltrative hypersensitivity disease of lung, chapter in Clinical Immunology, edited by Charles Parker, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA, 1980.
5. Butcher BT and Karr RM. Toluene diisocyanate (TDI) induced lung disease, chapter in Diagnosis and Managemment of Current Drug, Occupational, and Radiation-Induced Disease, selected topics, Volume I, edited by Leslie Pregor, published by Grune & Stratton, 1980.
6. Karr RM, Wilson MR, and Salvaggio JE. Allergic pneumonitis, chapter in Current Topics in Immunology, edited by Edward C. Franklin, published by Elsever, 1979:241-257.
7. Salvaggio JE and Karr RM. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis: state of the art, Aspen Conference, Chest Suppl 1979;75:270.
8. Wilson MR, Karr RM, and Salvaggio JE. The contribution of immunologic techniques to the current understanding of occupational lung disease. In Occupational Lung Diseases: Research Approaches and Methods. Vol. 18. Edited by Hans Weill and Margaret Turner-Warwick. Published by Marcel Dekker, Inc. New York, 1981.
9. Karr RM. Mechanisms of Immune Injury. Chest Suppl 1980;78:388-392.
10. Lehrer SB and Karr RM. Immunochemical Investigation of Food Allergens, Antinutrients, and Natural Toxicants in Foods. R.L. Ory, editor, Food and Nutrition Press, Inc., Westport CT 06880, 1981.